Sunday, January 18, 2009

Swimming with his turtle friends

Every three months my son stays at a respite weekend home. I like it because the staff has worked on and off with him for a few years. I used to drive away crying feeling horrible after dropping him off. I would spend the weekend holding his blanket and missing him. Pathetic, yes it was.
Now I realize a break is good for both of us. He loves it and he gets to go to really cool places. It also gives me and chance to hang out with my daughter. (who does not give a hoot).
I come home today to a message from one of the staff. The outing the weekend home went on was to the Oklahoma Aquarium.
"I need to tell you something. I kmow that you might be upset but also know that you will find it funny as well." My first thought was that my son jumped into one of the exhibits. Bingo! He did!!
He decided that he would like to float with the turtles and fish. I really need to cut back on him watching Finding Nemo.
(the aquarium staff assured my son's caregiver that the turtles would be fine)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tanna! I'm glad you started a blog!

    That is too funny - thankfully it wasn't the shark tank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes sense that you would need respite from that kind of "enthusiasm for life." :) I teach spec ed, so I "get it" completely. That said, don't they know him well enough to know he's capable of doing something like that? It turned out well this time, but I hope they will keep a closer watch on him next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The staff is never supposed to be an more than an arm length away. She said that she let him lay on the ledge (not a good idea) and then he just rolled in. Thank you for following my blog. I read yours often.

    ReplyDelete